[Sussex] PVR box (Freeview)

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 16:35:14 UTC 2005

Well.. looks like I might have a little challenge, courtesy of work.

Work wants a PVR capable of recording freeview channels, to provide
teaching materials (for which we have a relevant licence). So far I've
worked out that we need 2 DVB-T cards, or 1 DVB-T card with dual tuners
on it, a DVD+-RW drive, possibly a DVD drive, and an 80gb+ HDD (as much
as is financially feasible)

What they want is scheduled recording, with possibly two streams being
recorded at once, which is where the whole 2 cards or dual tuner comes
in, and as I understand it VDR is quite happy handling two cards at
once. They also need to be able to duplicate DVDs of recordings.
I also get the impression they'll need to edit recordings, at least so
far as being able to put thumbnails / chapters before burning to DVD?

>From looking around it doesn't seem too hard to manage, has anyone got
any experience of doing a similar project, or seen somewhere on the web
where someone has done this?
Anyone got any reccomendations of a DVB-T card they know works well in
Linux? My old Hauppage Nova-T is close to impossible to get working
under linux, what with lack of MPEG decoder and so on and so forth