[Sussex] Copywrite and the Old Woman ...

Nicholas Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Sat Jul 9 21:44:19 UTC 2005

I got this link from digg.com

 http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/icst/icst-6/icst-6-full.html

I like the thread . It suggests that whilst piracy and copyright theft
news stories are misdirected it is important to ensure that you "follow"
the legal way. Its just also important to point out that there may be
more than one legal way. though in hindsight when we enter the whole
micropaymen situation ... how will the people who will help a artist
promote work be paid ?

Before I go down that thought let me put this to you :

If we were to spend 1 month obeying all the legal systems laid down by
Society, Government and the Police just how quickly would businesses and
people  really begin to suffer and realise just how much some laws are
ridiculous.  Of course some how we know this to be true. Ive just never
seen it proven from a Anthropological point of view.

e.g. If everyone obeyed speed limits then funding from speed cameras
would disappear and so they would eventually be phased out meaning you
could return to speeding without it being an offence.

Though whilst speed does not kill .. Loosing control of a car at 80 mph
is far more deadly than loosing control at 60 or at 30 or at 20 ... but
I digress.

Copyright ?

If you have attended a BCF meeting or two you will see that many vendors
will demonstrate monitors and speakers using "copyrighted" materials in
a public venue for the purpose of a public performance to demonstrate
their product. There is absolutely no point challenging them on this
because as the link at the start of this thought points out they just
dont see it as wrong or illegal or bad or harming. They dont feel that
they will be caught or harassed.

My personal stance has always been that if we are to promote free and
open then we must respect the rules which allow us to enforce free and
open. A Conundrum I am sure..

Ive been accused of being and old maid about this topic. Refusing to
allow copyrighted materials to be used without permission or consent
but I feel the link makes the point. Use the rules to your benefit and
work with them to make change... or maybe im just a RMS alike at heart.

Nik