[Sussex] Strange error when checking html with W3C validator

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Jul 13 07:31:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:38:29 +0100
Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 00:24, John D. wrote:
> ----------- %< -----------
> > So what am I doing wrong? Surely if the html/xhtml is valid (for the
> > W3C) then it should also be correct for both browsers?
>
> It sounds more likely that Opera simply isn't giving all the
> information it should when uploading the file to the validator - that
> is it's not telling the validator about the character encoding of the
> file.  You can actually specify the character encoding in the
> document itself, which may  get round the problem.  It does sound
> sort of like the problem is Opera however and you should just press
> on with firefox.

Agreed.  Maybe a quicker way to sanitise your code would be to use
Tidy? (http://tidy.sourceforge.net).  If you're a PHPer you can call
libtidy functions directly from PHP and use output buffering to sanitise
your HTML source code on the fly (although not very advisable unless you
have a caching mechanism of some sort).

Cheers

Ronan