[Sussex] query problems and rounding

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:04:38 UTC 2005

All,

Ok this isn't exactly Linux related as I have to do it with ACCESS (the
devil in a database) but knowing the depth of brain power and knowledge
here on the list it only wise to ask when I cant find much else out
about the problem.

I have a query like so;

SELECT ROUND( (salary1/100*3/12), 2) FROM ....... (you don't need to
know the rest)

When salary1 = 10710 the answer without rounding is 26.775 but when
rounded it = 26.77

When salary1 = 38110 the answer without rounding is 95.275 but when
rounded it = 95.28

The result being that one rounds correctly and the other doesn't.
My first idea was that access implements bankers rounding but then
noticed that it was not always on even numbers.

Any insight at all would be very helpful

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.