[Sussex] Strange error when checking html with W3C validator

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Jul 13 11:41:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:10:54 +0100
"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> I wouldn't have a clue as to how to use tidy in a terminal, but when
> I just have the doc open and do Ctrl+Alt+t it opens a "subwindow" and
> the messages say that the "tidy script" has started. If I then select
> the info pane, it doesn't say anything, but just highlights a
> line/column in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, if I then
> count the lines/columns it seems to just be saying that it doesn't
> like a space or maybe carriage return thats been put in by Quanta
> when I tell it to do the indents for ease of viewing the code. I'll
> see what I get with the CLI input. Ha! that just says "no warnings or
> errors were found".

But look at the output file and compare it with the original to check
for any changes....

> The change in "encoding" was me just trying various different options
> taken from examples found at google. I can't work out how/what the
> encoding is with Quanta, but thus far, except with firefox, it's just
> defaulted to using UTF-8 after telling me that it can't get the
> encoding information.
>
> So how would I "make sure the encoding I'm using is correct" ??

Don't know Quanta but is there a character encoding option somewhere in
the menus?  I'm sure there's a handy command line command that will
determine the encoding but don't know it (file doesn't seem to).
Anyone?

> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. I can't upload it to any live webspace at the moment, as I'm
> still waiting for my login details back from the ISP (forgotten them
> again!).

If you chuck it over I can pop it onto one of mine for you to try it
out.

Cheers

Ronan