[Sussex] RE: Copywrite and the Old Woman ...

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 12:25:07 UTC 2005

Steve Williams wrote:
>John,
>
>When I was considering a portable player, my choice boiled down to the
>Karma and the iRiver IHp-140. I was all set to plump for the Karma, but
>then I read bad reports about its unreliability, poor bios and
>exruciatingly slow network performance. It may be different now, though.
>
>In the end I plumped for the iRiver IHp-140 and have not been remotely
>disappointed. It's got fantastic sound quality, particularly with earbud
>style phones, Ogg support etc. It only lacks the ethernet support, but
>it does appear as a USB mass storage device, so it will happily
>plug'n'play on Windows and Linux.
>
>Steve W.
>
>On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:57 +0100, John Thompson wrote:
>
>>The Rio Karma is the Biz!!
>>
>>Ogg and FLAC and has Ethernet port (as well as USB) so you can just plug
>>it into your router. Comes with a Java - based download application that
>>works, of course, on Linux! Lithium ion battery, etc.
>>
>>Thoroughly recommended - by far the best music player on the market -
>>seems to get very little publicity though.
>>
>>(No I don't work for Rio)
>>
>>John
>>
>>>As for portable music, I'll looking into a "Rio Karma", as it is one of
>>>a few mp3 player type devices that supports FLAC (as well as ogg). Most
>>>of those that do, are considerably more expensive than something off the
>>>shelf at the local Dixons/Currys etc the karma is currently £130 at
>>>amazon - excellent
Well, actually it hadn't occured to me about the ethernet support! The
main thing that has attracted me, is the support for FLAC as well as ogg
- the only other devices that seem to do that
are the Cowon iAUDIO X5 series, which seem to quite hard to get hold of
and very expensive (£250 to £300 depending on battery and hard drive
size - though the extended battery and 30 gig hard drive model is the
£300 one. Versus the £130 that I've paid to comet - it should arrive on
saturday).

The only reviews that I found for the Karma, all seemed pretty positive,
so as mentioned above I've decided to chance it (worse case scenario is
that it's rubbish and I'll have to find the extra money for the X5).

Ho, that ethernet support does sound rather good though! Saturday should
be good (better than yesterday, which was my actual birthday - I had to
work and have come home sick after injuring my back - nice!).

Yes, as I was saying, the Karma is due to turn up, some rather excellent
cd's that I've ordered (ELO, Tracy Chapman - no relation to Dave, Carter
USM and the best of OMD) and don't forget, that Saturday is the 16th
which makes it "HARRY POTTER Day".
Hooooooooooorrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'll post back about how I get on with the Karma. It looks like its
getting rarer, amazon was out of stock, hence Comet!

regards

John D.