[Sussex] Odd noise on laptop - hard drive?

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Jul 19 14:16:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:01:15 +0100
Rupert Swarbrick <rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net> wrote:
> I think that the hard disk is probably not dying, as it has been
> making this noise since I bought the laptop new 6 months ago (I just
> haven't been particularly irritated by it before)
>
> I still can't work out what loading the usb module has to do with it
> either.

Had a similar thing with a drive in my dell latitude.  Clanked and
whizzed like crazy.  I replaced it (cos it was too small, not because
it was dodgy) and its now in a USB caddy and works fine - still clanks
and whirrs though!  I suppose some drives are just plain noisy!

Mine wasn't fixed by modprobing anything though - strange that one!

Ronan