[Sussex] vvv confused with java - jre, sdk and jvm

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 11:33:06 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:40:48 +0100
> "John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Richie Jarvis wrote:
>> john at johnspc:~> export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin: $PATH
>> bash: export:
>> `/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin':
>> not a valid identifier
>> john at johnspc:~>
>> <!-----Which still leaves me completely stumped, because if I look at
>> the "echo $JAVA_HOME" it's still telling me this-----!>
>>
>> john at johnspc:~> echo $JAVA_HOME
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java
>> john at johnspc:~>
>>

> But doing
>
> export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin....
>
> doesn't export JAVA_HOME, it just adds the contents to your path and
> exports that.
>
> Have you done
>
> export JAVA_HOME=[whatever]
>
> first?
>
> Tomcat?  [shudder] Brings many long buried and horrible memories!!!
>
> ;-)
Ok, so I can see how that should work. I'm presuming that where Ronan
says "=[whatever]" does the whatever mean something like /usr/lib/jdk
1.5.0 or something like that?

Plus, as I don't seem to be able to do either "locate xxxx" or "whereis
xxxxx" how would I work out what I'm supposed to direct the "export
JAVA_HOME=[whatever]" at ??? i.e. I don't know what file or sort of file
it needs to be as when I checked the sun site, I found the bit that said
about the structure of the JDK
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/linux/jdkfiles.html and as
I'm sure you can see, it's somewhat confusing for a nugget like me.

Hence any guidance on that is very much appreciated.

regards

John D.

p.s. and whatever the "[whatever]" is, does it need to be in the square
brackets or is that just how Ronan has highlighted/quoted it ???