[Sussex] MootNews

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Jul 30 11:38:48 UTC 2005

Hi all

First my thanks to Nik B for his talk on LDAP and how to implement a
global address book.  For those of you who missed the talk (or for
those that were there) and want to seek the slides the presentation
it is up on the website.
   http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/presentations/index.php

I have also booked in Steve W to give a talk on Timidity, Rosegargen
and Lilypond for the October moot.  So for those out there that have
expressed an interest in such things keep the evening of October 27th
free.

The next Moot will be on Wireless Mesh Networking, to be given by
Richie.  I hope he's ready as I haven't seen him for a while.  I
know he was business of late as he has changed jobs.

At the last moot it was suggested we have some Workshops.  The one
that was obvious to us was OpenOffice.  First we need a chairperson
for that event - someone to make decisions and to coordinate stuff.
Let's have someone new, I'm so use to either Nik or I running things
that I think we need some new blood about.

November suggest itself, and I think that would be a nice way to
end the year.

Second order of business has to be: Which version of OOo?  I see that
the next stable release will be 1.1.5.  As 1.9.x is still beta I
think it would be better to go with the 1.1 set (sorry Mark).  That
is the sort of thing that the chairperson is needed for (but we can
discuss it).

So any volunteers for the roll of OOo workshop chairman?

Any more ideas for workshops?

Finally:  August 7th is the date for the next BCF in Worthing.  Any
one who can spare the time and come and help promote the club is
welcome.  The past has shown that we need about four people there
to move the CDs that pay for the stall.  Next Sunday we will only have
three, so an extra body is needed.  Please volunteer.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #5: If you need to build a custom kernel, use the 'make-kpkg'
script found in the kernel-package package.