[Sussex] continuing difficulties with Samba.

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sat Jul 30 18:19:20 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:
> My current confusion revolves around, shares i.e. how do I tell "it"
> what I want to share, logins/usernames/passwords i.e. does samba
> use/need different user names and passwords + does Clare need to have
> seperate username/password as the laptop user account is her one, server
> connections i.e. why I seem not to be able to connect the laptop, which
> I can see from the SMB4k gui window but tells me that the connection has
> been refused or is broken if I try to look at it and (finally :-|) why,
> when I'm trying to print anything from the laptop it won't allow me too.
Ah - samba usernames/passwords...

Well, the samba username/password list is stored in a different place to
the normal Linux passwords.  To add users to the Samba list, there needs
to be a Linux user, and then you do this to add a user:

smbpasswd -a <username>

Samba will then prompt you for a password for this user.  As you have
security set to 'user' in the smb.conf, Windows should then prompt you
for a username/password when you try and access a device on the network
share.

In order for all this to work, you really need to put the server into
user security mode - i.e. security = user.

Also, if you just want Claire to be able to print, concentrate on
getting the laptop to authenticate against Linux, not the other way
round - So that the laptop is the client, and Linux Samba is the server
- the opposite of that (using SMB4k) is completely separate to what you
want to achieve.

Cheers,

Richie