[Sussex] thoughts for other presentation ...

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 31 11:20:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 11:34 +0100, Anthony Rangecroft wrote:

> > > The next free slot is October, is that okay for you?
> >
> >Yes.  I'll keep it short in the best Nik Butler tradition - unlike the
> >Gentoo pres! Takes as long to explain as it does to install!
>
> <whimper from the back>  Not too short please.  Some of us
> never-yet-useders don't even know the steps involved in making music using
> this kind of s/w.  For example will the talk assume I know how to choose
> between SMPTE clock, MIDI clock and MIDI Time Code?  </repmihw>

Jeez, I'm not sure I know the difference! I intend the talk to be very
simple and non-technical. Basically, I wanted to be able to do certain
things. First, typset and print musical scores which could be transposed
fairly trivially. Second, create midi tracks from these scores, and play
them. Third, set up my notebook PC to do these things.

I haven't required to go into Rosegarden (Midi Sequencer) too deeply,
but Lilypond is another matter. Timidity was/is required as my notebook
doesn't have a hardware synth.

So the talk will be along the lines of:

1. Set up alsa.
2. Set up timidity for non hardware synths, awesfx for hardware synths.
3. Lilypond music typesetter - probably the bulk of presentation.
4. Rosegarden for playing/modifying the midi tracks created by Lilypond.

Steve W.