[Sussex] Re: Kernel compilation gone horribly wrong

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Jun 6 00:35:21 UTC 2005

Red

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:14:13AM +0000, Captain Redbeard wrote:
> OK so I found the solution in a how-to at LinuxQuestions.org.  All it
> took was a few commands to install a generic kernel from the CD.  Not
> only do I have my cards working but I also figured out how to get my
> modem running so I've now gotten my Slackware network onto the 'net.
> However I would like to know why my earlier attempts were a failure.
> I've had a fairly good look around various websites for detailed
> instructions for the options available in kernel compilation but failed
> to find anything that goes into any real detail.  Does anyone know of a
> good tutorial that covers this subject?  Or at least one that explains
> all the things that can possibly go wrong and why?

The kernel you are now using should have come with config file that
details all the options that were set up for the kernel built.  If
not 2.6 kernel can now have support internal for that.  If the file
/proc/config.gz then your new kernel has be compiled with support
for this.

You can compare this with your config file with is in the file
.config in the base directory of the kernel source.

Real Users hate Real Programmers.