[Sussex] Sarge...

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Jun 7 22:37:23 UTC 2005

Hi Geoff,

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:46:50 +0100
"Geoffrey J. Teale" <tealeg at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Quoting slashdot:
>
> "First, Apple switches to Intel, and now, equally shocking: Debian
> Sarge is released! Hell has officially frozen over! "
>
> .. ho-hum.  Many people on this list will be excited by this news.
> I'm just hoping Debian's new leadership can make sure the next release
> comes quickly enough for Debian to stay relevant.

I'm glad someone has this same concern. I love Debian & have installed
Sarge on my new "trying things out" machine, but Ubuntu seems to have
made a permanent home for itself on my main PC, where once lived Debian.
I am sure that the reason for this is that Ubuntu has more up-to-date
software. The advantages have been most noticeable to me in audio
software, which has made great strides forward.

The Sarge release took ages. I know that Debian is famed for its "when
it is time" release policy, but it could reach so many more people if
they could somehow "keep 'em coming" a little more frequently.

On the other hand, running both Debian & Ubuntu makes me realise anew
that "unbreakable" feeling that Debian has.

Gavin.