[Sussex] Sarge...

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Jun 8 16:24:07 UTC 2005

Alan

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:44:28PM +0100, Alan F wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:32:51PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > Er, there are 2.6.8 kernels for sparc in sarge and 2.4.27 versions for
> > both 32bit and 64bit:
> > http://packages.debian.org/stable/source/kernel-image-2.6.8-sparc
> > and
> > http://packages.debian.org/stable/source/kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc
> >
> Ah, my mistake. The kernel upgrade wasn't included in dist-upgrade,
> which I was expecting (maybe this is normal). A libc upgrade was in
> the dist-upgrade, though, which needed the upgraded kernel. I couldn't
> install the new kernel beforehand because it required a version of
> modutils for which there wasn't even a package available in the main
> sarge distribution for sparc.
>
> This document pointed me in the right direction:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/ap-kernel-upgrade-howto.en.html
>
> (I needed this line in my sources.list to do the upgrade)
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/upgrade-kernel ./

As I haven't got a sparc based system I have to base this on my i386 type
system (but the principles work on my MIPS based system so I hope it will
work for you too).

The deb line would be better written as:
  deb http://www.uk.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
or if you want FTP access (which I use):
  deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main

and don't forget that you now need to get the security updates for
sarge:
  deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main

You then find all the kernel modules using:
  # apt-cache search kernel | grep ^kernel-image-2\.6 | awk '{print $1 }'

which gave me the following list for i386:
  kernel-image-2.6-386
  kernel-image-2.6-686
  kernel-image-2.6-686-smp
  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic
  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
  kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4
  kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4-smp
  kernel-image-2.6-k7
  kernel-image-2.6-k7-smp
  kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
  kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
  kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp
  kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4
  kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7-smp

> Anyway, I did a clean install because I wanted to convert to reiserfs
> from ext2 and the box had collected a fair amount of fluff. Quite
> happy with it now. :-)

If you have the spare disk space you can do that without having to do
full re-install.  I want to swap to XFS on my laptop - time is my problem.
:-)

Cropp's Law:
	The amount of work done varies inversly with the time spent in the
	office.