[Sussex] Gedit syntax highlighting

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Jun 10 13:33:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:09:36 +0100
gteale at cmedresearch.com (Geoffrey J. Teale) wrote:
> Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> writes:
> <language _name="C" version="1.0" _section="Sources" mimetypes="text/
> x-c;text/x-chdr;text/x-csrc">
>
> ...Just add the appropriate mime type to the list.

But that's not flexible enough.  The smarty templates aren't classified
as text/html they're text/plain.

ronan at rncubuntu:Labels24 $ file templates/user.tpl -i
templates/user.tpl: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

They're never complete html files and always contain non-html code.  I
don't want to change the file extensions of all my templates.  All I
want to do is say to gedit 'if a file has extension .tpl, highlight it
using html syntax'.  Easy in Kate (and lots of other editors) - you just
add the extension to the end of the list for that syntax file.

Frustratingly absent it seems in Gedit.

> Or switch to GNU Emacs and I'll explain how you can achieve this in a
> _real_ text editing environment :-)

I'm a vi / vim man.  You're liasing with the enemy!!! ;-)

I did try Emacs some time ago but I think I was to vimified by then -
couldn't get used to it at all.

Cheers

Ronan