[Sussex] Laptop as an expensive remote control?

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 19:09:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've got a problem I hope someone can help me with.

In my lounge I currently have a headless server that contains my mp3/ogg
collection.  It has a great sound card in it (SB Live Platinum) and a
pretty decent speaker system wired up to it too (only 4.1, but it's good
quality!).

I want to be able to select the tracks from my laptop over the wireless
lan, but have them played on my server, kind of like a remote-control
for a hi-fi system.

Does anyone have any idea if there is anything out there to do this
already, or am I better off writing a PHP Script that has a load of
system calls to exec the files locally?

TIA,

Matt