[Sussex] Laptop as an expensive remote control?

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 15 20:55:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 20:08 +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a problem I hope someone can help me with.
>
> In my lounge I currently have a headless server that contains my mp3/ogg
> collection.  It has a great sound card in it (SB Live Platinum) and a
> pretty decent speaker system wired up to it too (only 4.1, but it's good
> quality!).
>
> I want to be able to select the tracks from my laptop over the wireless
> lan, but have them played on my server, kind of like a remote-control
> for a hi-fi system.
>
> Does anyone have any idea if there is anything out there to do this
> already, or am I better off writing a PHP Script that has a load of
> system calls to exec the files locally?
>
> TIA,
>
> Matt

Matt,

I've been installing Debian Sarge for my MythTV box and I came across an
entry in the Synaptic package list called

libapache2-mod-musicindex

This might be worth a look. Presumably it runs as an apache2 module and
is intended for downloading/streaming to a client, but you might be able
to re-direct output to the server's sound system.

Steve W.