[Sussex] Compiler G++ problems

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Sun Jun 19 09:35:14 UTC 2005

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:07:34PM +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
>> I am using ubuntu 5.04.  Gosh I thought it was Linux system, well
>> installing g++ I thought that would be on by default but alas no. 8
>> hours wasted find out that hay ho.
>
> Why _should_ it be on by default?  There's no requirement to say it
> should.

Err, it Open Source.  I thought the idea of having a compiler would
installed by default to be useful.

>> Now I have another problem, each time I compile all get is this error
>> message from my IDE.
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -1GL collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> Any wise ideas out there?
>
> You're missing a library that the linker is trying to link against.
> Which app are you trying to compile?  Only I can't tell from the error
> the precise library -- it might be one of the openGL ones.

Sadly I don't know as IDE system I use is cross platform 1 source code
compiles for all systems Mac, Windows, Linux.  I don't want to get to
dumped down in the in's and out's of each system.  Thats why I have gone
down this route.

Of course there are disadvantages to do it this way but I think the time
it saves me is well worth it in the long run.

I have tryed to install

gcc
gobjc-3.3
libsdl1.2-dev
xxf86vm-dev

>> If not thinking about trying out Fedora next.
>
> With all due respect, changing distros because you hit a bump is hardly
> going to help you.

I sadly do not have time to play around with a system.  Is there Linux
distro which is recommended with the idea of software development.