[Sussex] Dual boot Ubuntu

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Sun Jun 19 21:51:14 UTC 2005

Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
>
>>1) How can put boot loader in to my system, so I can be Windows or
>>Ubuntu.
>

> Well, since Ubuntu uses GRUB, you essentially just have to chainload it.
> ISTR the file is fairly-well commented, but you just want an entry like
> this:
>
> title=Windows Partition
> root (hd1,0) # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
> rootnoverify (hd1,0) # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
> makeactive # Sets the partition to active
> chainloader +1 # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done
>
> Which you can add to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.  With modification,
> of course.
>

>>2) How can I get Ubuntu to read/write from seconded harddrive on my
>>system which is of course formated in NTFS.
>

> For user-accessible NTFS, you want something like this in your
> /etc/fstab file:
>
> /dev/hdb2  /ntfs    ntfs  conv=auto,uid=<user>,gid=<group>,dmask=0002,fmask=0003, defaults 0 0

I also think that the ubuntu installer does that all automatically. It
sees an NTFS partition (or Fat32 if you're using Win98/ME) and assumes
you've got windows there.

So I'd just let it get on with it and install and you're home free,
probably. Else you'll need Thomas' tip.

P.S. By far the most difficult problem is resizing the existing
partitions. I assume that you've already shrunk the windows one, or are
you happy to wipe your Windows install and start again? If you're using
XP's NTFS, you'll have to resize in advance - PartitionMagick is great
for that, but costs £70 (or a friend that has it...)

Rupert