[Sussex] Wine and SQL Server 2000

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Jun 20 16:01:05 UTC 2005

Hi

On Mon, 20 June, 2005 16:32, Thomas Adam said:
> I'm not surprised it doesn't work.  Wine is *very*, that's *very*
> developmental at the moment.  It's fine for running low-key apps such as
> notepad, but SQL Server?  No chance.

*very* development? It's not *that* far from 1.0! I would point out that
notepad is the least of wine's abilities and it has been running that for
bloody years!
You can run IE6, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, loads of games, etc. in the
various versions of WINE. See the application database on winehq.com. It
is extremely capable, however it is held back by much of the cool work
going into commercial trees like Transgaming's.

To say that it is only good for running low-key apps is unfair imho
though. Also, the OP didn't want to run SQL server, just the tools, which
is discussed (with stunningly bad text formatting) at
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1032 although I'm not sure how
successful it is.

Cheers,
--