[Sussex] What distro?

Paul Howard phowardcom at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 15:26:48 UTC 2005

I have been happily using Linspire as my distro of choice for about a year
and a half
now but feel its time for a change.

Now before everyone starts kicking Linspire, I know all the problems and
all the usual
moans about it but it's still a damn good distro. The trouble is a lot of
the apps are
getting way out of date from their CNR (click and run) wharehouse and I
want a distro
that I can install any app I want onto rather than just the ones that they
have had time
to update.

I tried a recent (3.8) I think it was version of Knoppix but it didn't
work well with my
hardware (Dell laptop) and the last time I tried Mandriva I wasn't that
impressed.

So the question is - what distro to try next. I have always preffered
Debian based
distros so far but would be willing to try an RPM based one.

One thing it must handle well though is wireless networking. Linspire does
this
wonderfully and detetcs and uses my laptops built in wifi perfectly.

I have got a copy of Xandros Business edition 3 to try out but haven't had
time to
fiddle with it yet.  Is it any good?

Any suggestions?

cheers

--
Paul Howard

http://www.phoward.com    paul at phoward.com

mobile: +44-(0)7771-512312    tel: +44-(0)870-068-6141    sip:
1-747-2444-266