[Sussex] Life with Ubuntu

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Mar 4 02:27:30 UTC 2005

Rupert

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:17:12PM +0000, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> Disadvantage: (the only one!)
> Whatever you do, don't get ubuntu/debian if you're still on dialup.
> Waiting for packages to download is a real killer when you want to upgrade.

I used Debian for years on a dial up.  If you're using dial up you
really need to be on BT's Surf Anytime package so the cost of the call
is free.

So my response to your disadvantage is don't wait!!! Go shopping, go
to sleep, do something else.

As long as that download time is, it is still shorter than doing a
full Gentoo rebuild from scratch!!!!  - Sorry Geoff/SteveW couldn't
                                        resist the dig :-)

SteveD