[Sussex] Knoppix CD - Impressed!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Mar 8 22:05:02 UTC 2005

Richie

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:57:33PM +0000, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> nik wrote:
> >so the more interesting point is you pretty much ghosted your drive
> >across without using pirated software and quickly recovered your
> >system.... hmmm !
> Yeah - worked like a charm :)

Well I wanted to install a disk exactly like one the same size (same
number of sectors even if the head/cylinder/plater counts were
different). I plugged both in to the system (hda & hda) and just
dd(1) from one to other.

No need to partition, not need to format - it worked like a charm.

Plugged the coped disk (hdc) in as hda and it just booted - everything
was where it should.

I do like it when EVERYTHING is a file - doesn't it make life easier.