[Sussex] Microsoft fails to comply

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun Mar 20 17:11:57 UTC 2005

Steve Williams <sdp.williams at btinternet.com> writes:

> Now I don't need to re-iterate where my political loyalties lie, and I
> suspect I'm in a minority of one in the SLUG. But I'm not one of those
> who thinks the Conservative Party is the be all and end all, and,
> whilst I will fight my corner, I won't ram it down anyone's
> throat. (Well, unless it's for their own benefit - GEOFF! - :-P - you
> know, stiff medecine and all that!)

Steve, I think it's well established that you and I are not going to
see eye to eye on politics anytime soon.  That is however a good thing
in my opinion.  As with software diversity in politics is a good
thing.

With the labour party and the conservatives now occupying the same
political territory it's more important than ever that members of the
left (obviously me) stand up and debate the points with members of the
right (obviously you).

> And please don't get me started on that utter buffoon Charles
> Kennedy. Michael Howard may not be your cup of tea, but Charles
> Kennedy -
> puhleeeeese!

I've met them both (Michael Howard twice in fact) and can only say
that Michael Howard (who is the MP for the constituency in which I
grew up) is the single least appealing person I've ever met in my
life.  I can't say that Charles Kennedy is a great person or an ideal
prime minister, but he leads a party that despite your claims has the
only set of campaign promises that are actually well defined rather
than vague promises and of the three parties his is the only one
standing up and saying "we need to make unpopular decisions to sort
this country out".

It's easy to indulge peoples hatred.  It's easy to point out what is
wrong with the country.  It's easy to point the finger at government
workers and immigrants.  It's much harder to say that fixing things in
this country is hard and expensive.

> So Geoff old chap, don't waste your vote on those idiots, vote for
> someone else - please?

An what exactly makes you think I _am_ going to vote for them? I
haven't said as much.

I'll have you know I didn't vote for them in the local elections.

Actually I probably will vote for the Lib Dems, because voting green really
won't get me far in this constituency.  At least the Lib Dems might
actually make a convincing opposition instead of that bunch of
washed-up dinosaurs in blue.

Britain was screwed in the 80's.
Britain was screwed in the 90's.
Britain's been screwed in this decade.

Both the conservatives and the labour party have been in power during
that time.  Lets give the liberals a try so we can moan about someone
else for a change :-)

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org