[Sussex] Actual Linux question - "ghost" alternative

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Wed Mar 23 09:07:35 UTC 2005

Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Sorry to bring you back to Linux, but I'm sure that a few weeks ago
> SOMEONE posted about a product that was "like ghost but free".
>
> ... ie that meant I could create an exact copy of drive X onto drive Y.
>
> What was the name of the product? An archive search doesn't help given I
> can't remember the name of the product, the person who posted, or the
> thread :-)
>
> M.
Hi Mark,

It were me, and I simply used the Knoppix CD, created the partitions
exactly the same size on my new drive, and then cat /dev/hda1 >
/dev/sda1 to copy the data from the old IDE drive to the new SATA drive.

As it was windoze, I then just recreated the MBR with fdisk /mbr in
Windoze rescue mode.

Cheers,

Richie