[Sussex] Question

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Mar 23 11:20:22 UTC 2005

Hi

On Wed, March 23, 2005 11:01, Geoffrey J. Teale said:
> the browser market - lets ram it down the throats of the "ooh we don't

Damn straight. I'd say it's also worth making a strong case about the
wider implications of the OS agnostic roots of the web - as more people
switch to Firefox that becomes more immediately obvious, but is also
extends to other areas - for example things like PDAs and mobile phones
all have browsers in these days and more and more browsing is done on
them, so if your site is so badly put together that it is unreadable on
anything but 1024x768 Windows then you will lose customers no matter how
pretty it is. Do it properly and you will win the customers other people
are losing. (but I'm sure you know these arguments well :)

> listen.  Generally speaking the people who actually control mail
> servers in large companies don't think they have the authority to
> stand up to the senior management fools who think such signatures are

Indeed, it is sadly all too easy to cowtow to the bluesky brigade. I run
our mail servers and I flatly refused to add anything beyond the very
short FSA regulation statements we are required to place on outgoing
communications of any kind, after management suggested I start lifting
parts of other email disclaimers ;)

I do understand that not everyone is in a position to be able to do that,
but I would ask that people at least pass the information up the chain. It
might resonate with someone important by accident and do some good ;)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net