[Sussex] Just introducing myself: Frances

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 15:43:58 UTC 2005

From: Fleming, Frances [mailto:Frances.Fleming at edfenergy.com]
Subject: [Sussex] Just introducing myself: Frances

> Hi all!
>
> Hope everyone had a good Easter break.

Thanks and welcome to Sussex Lug

> I've just found out about SLUG and am looking forward to joining in :)
>
> I've been casually using Linux since about August 2004 and had been
> reading up about GNU/Linux/Open Source since Red Hat 9 came out, and
> liking what I saw.
>
> I've installed, one at a time on my tiny 10GB hard drive: Red Hat 9
> (great), Mandrake (failed), Lindows (too sparse), Zandros (failed),
SuSE
> 9.0 Pro (brilliant) and SuSE 9.2 Pro (even more brilliant). The SuSE
> distros were boxed sets with full manuals, picked up from the Linux
User
> and Developer stand at the last couple of London Expos - did anyone
from
> SLUG go at all? I went both days each time. Incidentally, the
helicopter
> sim was super cool :)

I went last year and the 2 years before that, we often arrange for a few
of us to meet up there depending on the days we are going. Oddly enough
I cant remember the helicopter although I do remember the F1 sim last
year.

> For live distros I've tried SuSE Desktop and Dyne:bolic.
>
> I can get on fine with VI and am interested in getting to grips with
CLI
> - searching and maintenance and stuff. I ran into quite a lot of
> problems with a previous install, having tried to cram too much on :(
>
> My current time investment primarily goes into learning Umbrello (data
> modelling), Kivio (diagramming), Apache, MySQL and PHP, with the GIMP,
> Karbon14 and Blender coming close second and Open Office Writer/Calc
> close third. I'd also like to get into Scribus.
>
> At work I'm a full time developer in - sorry ;-] - ASP, MS IIS web
> server and MS SQL Server database, with the Select data modelling tool
> and Visio diagrammer. I'll soon be plunging into ASP.NET and XML.

Don't worry I have to do the same at work.

> Well, see you at the Moot on Thursday.

Not sure I can make it this month but hope to see you in the future.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.