[Sussex] Regular scheduled jobs?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Tue Mar 29 21:01:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:43:15PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> setting of regular scheduled jobs, is that "cron" ? Or am I thinking
> sof omething else?

Cron, yes

> Whichever it is, could someone point me at any decent links about
> how to use this facility (gentoo???) as I'm having snags with
> inkjet printer cartridges that dry up/block (both original HP and
> "remanufactured"), and would like to set things up so that the printer
> will kick out a test print once a week or so (maybe more often???).

Well, "man 5 crontab" is really helpful.  Essentially, you'll want to
do:

crontab -e

to edit the crontab, and add something like:

@weekly  <some_command>

Which is synonymous to:

0 0 * * 0 <some_command>

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"