[Sussex] boot probs

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Tue Mar 29 21:10:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:46:14PM +0100, David Chapman wrote:
> for device /dev/hda6 to appear :............... not found -- exiting
> to /bin/sh sh: can't access tty; job control turned off $

sh will give that message if it tries to run sh (bash) on a
non-controlling tty [1] such as /dev/console -- and seeing as "/" cannot
be found/mounted whatever, I am not surprised (hint:  "/" contains
/bin,/lib, etc).

> /dev/hda6 is my / partion
>
> The same error appears with the 2.6.8-24-smp kernel

This would seem to indicate an error in the initrd file of the kernels
you are trying to use -- the suggestion I'd make is to load from a known
working kernel, and compile your own.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"