[Sussex] boot probs

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 30 09:39:35 UTC 2005

David,

Despite the similarity of problem, I can't find anything in the Gentoo
grub forum threads that matches this problem exactly.

However, when I installed a 2.6.11-r4 kernel, the hard disks are ordered
differently at different stages of the boot process. Initially my boot
disk is hd1 rather than the hd0 it used to be. grub lists the devices at
boot as:

hd0	80Gb spare (/dev/hdb)
hd1	160Gb sata raid disk 0 (/dev/sda)

Once the kernel is loaded, grub lists the devices in this order:

hd0	160Gb sata raid disk 0 (/dev/sda)
hd1	160Gb sata raid disk 1 (/dev/sdb)
hd2	80Gb spare (/dev/hdb)

Infuriating for sure. I fixed it by editing my grub.conf file to specify
the partition grub should look for the kernel and initrd image.

title Gentoo 2004.3 Kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r4
        root (hd1,4)
                ^^^^^^^
        kernel (hd1,4)/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/md1
                   ^^^^^^^
        initrd (hd1,4)/initramfs-2.6.11-gentoo-r4-emergence
                 ^^^^^^^

These used to be (hd0,4).

Now it's been some time since I used SuSE, but when I last looked it
used grub and bootsplash to give it a nice graphical boot. I assume
yours does as well. If you get the grub menu on booting from hard disk,
you could try editing the grub.conf lines to specify a different (hd?.?)
and root=/dev/hda? options in case grub or the kernel now sense your
partitions differently.

Steve Williams.