[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Sun May 1 14:16:09 UTC 2005

 >Steve Dobson said:
 >
 >> GATEWAY="192.168.0.71
 >> DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
 >>
 >> (Whoops!  GATEWAY was spelled wrongly, now corrected.)
 >
 >I notice you have a gateway.  What type of machine is this
 >and is it connected to the Internet?  If it is then you
 >should also have some "nameserver" lines in your
 >/etc/resolv.conf

Sorry, typo.  The line should read "GATEWAY="192.168.0.2"."
  There are only these two machines on the network for the
moment.

 >> The command "ls /home -l | grep public" gives:
 >>
 >> drwxrwxrwx  1 root root    48 2005-04-28 21:14 public
 >
 >Week security, but okay.

I know, but I just wanted something that worked, now I can
do the fine-tuning.

What I plan to do now is start back from scratch, do fresh
new installs on both machines, and get it back to the point
where I can access the server directory from the client.
That way I will have worked out the exact sequence needed to
get from a virgin installation to a pair of networked
machines which is what I will then post, so that's the rest
of my evening spoken for!

Captain Redbeard.

Insomnia - it's not a condition, it's a mentality.
Registered Linux user: 388693.
Registered Linux machines: 289172, 289173.
v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6
g5+3RHaIr9 Hackerkey.com