[Sussex]The first of the Debian based confusion(s)

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun May 1 06:07:21 UTC 2005

So, having "butchered" my apt/sources.list from Thomas' and Steves
advice it now looks like this:

# If you want to do a "full upgrade", you should first
# upgrade the Packages from Debian/unstable (KDE & Co.)
# before doing a (dist-)upgrade for Debian/testing.
#
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# Testing
deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ testing main

# Testing Sources
deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ testing main

# ndiswrapper source
#deb   http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian ./

# Security
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

I haven't removed the source for ndiswrapper, as I don't really know
what thats about/for, hence commenting it instead.

The apt-get update seemed to proceed OK, though I still end up with this

Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: vdr-kbd: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 vdr depends on vdr-kbd | vdr-lirc | vdr-rcu | vdr-daemon; however:
  Package vdr-kbd is to be removed.
  Package vdr-lirc is not installed.
  Package vdr-rcu is not installed.
  Package vdr-daemon is not installed.
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing vdr-kbd (--remove):
 files list file for package `libgtk1.2-common' is missing final newline
 vdr-kbd
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
root at johnsPC:~#

so it's still rather confusing (not to mention, that when I tried to "do
the usual" and install the nvidia driver, I ended up with an error about
missing files/libs that I've never seen before :( ).

So it looks like it's back "slaving over a hot internet" too see if I
even vaguely understand what this is about!

regards

John D.