[Sussex] Debian news...

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Wed May 4 09:13:08 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

> Geoff: Do you know why older RISC CSUs are being dropped?  Is it because
> they can't find working hardware on which to test, or is it because
> those CPUs are not in common use?

It's the "reliable compile farm" problem. They are thinking of changing the
list and dropping any arch that does not have a commercially available
source of spare parts. They had a serious problem recently when 2 of the ARM
build systems failed, it took a long time to find replacements even though
they had money to throw at the problem.

> The FSF will be talking away my freedom to use a paricular CPU.

Err... not the FSF.

And Geof had said:

>>I'd actually think it would be a real shame for Debian to support
>>fewer architectures, it's one of the very few distros that has any
>>level of support for minority Linux users.

Yes, this has been stated. It's one of the things that makes Debian
different and without it they are "just another distro".

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out.