[Sussex] Debian news...

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Fri May 6 11:05:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 11:22 +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Salut LUG!
>
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:16:37AM +0100, Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:
> > Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> writes:
> > > Presumably he just needs to fiddle the kernel for Ubuntu to recognise
> > > his network card whereas with Gentoo you lose the lovely package
> > > management and have to compile everything from source.
> > Er.. no.. you have a different but equally lovely package management
> > system - you do have to spend a lot of time compiling though :-)
>
> I didn't think gentoo had packages just files that told you how to build
> things?

Portage takes care of dependencies very nicely. If you do:

emerge -p somepackage

portage will list all the dependencies it will need to compile to
support somepackage. There are options to allow you to tweak this
behaviour, such as --nodeps or -e.

> Do those files (are they the ebuild bits?) control the "requires version
> blah to build" or does it rely just on the configure script?
>
> Do they do virtual packages too?  How does one say "this ebuild depends
> on a web server"?

Normally each package lists a specific dependency rather than a generic
service.

> The only bit of gentoo that seems vaguely tempting to me is the USE
> flags bit.  But it seemed that if you changed the USE flags after you'd
> built a pile of stuff you have to then manually go back and set the
> rebuilds going.  Obviously you have to rebuild stuff but is there not a
> way to say "go build all these packages" for me?  How does that cope
> with new build dependencies?

You can use the --newuse option with portage to recompile packages that
are affected by changes in the USE flags, and --deep to consider all
dependent packages rather than just the immediate dependencies.