[Sussex] Schools

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon May 9 14:43:55 UTC 2005

 From: berto [mailto:berto at berto.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Schools

> the problem i see with this comes back to the age old argument, what
are they used to using? Most
> people especially I have noticed school kids do not care about how x &
y works they just want it to
> work and micro$oft stuff generally does that, having it so the kids
use Linux with OO and who knows
> what else at school and then at home they use Windows and MS Office,
it could cause more damage then
> do good.
>
> Which would mean schools would end up costing more as they have to go
the long way and get both in
> the end.

I would disagree in a lot of places schools don't upgrade the systems
for a long time if possible saving money on Linux would intern save on
hardware costs. And very rarely do they upgrade at all unless they are
larger universities, so chances are they would stick with what they got
rather then upgrade because the pupils prefer windows.

Also kids of the age they are include pick things up very fast so I
don't think it would be a problem.
When I was at school the had acorns and bbc micros aswell as win 3.11
didn't make much of a difference to me at the time.

> Also through my university i am able to get Microsoft products for
free, which i am know a lot of
> university are signing up to now.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.