[Sussex] Hardware Help

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed May 11 07:43:33 UTC 2005

Hi Guys,

I know that there are some of you out there that really understand
this hardware thing.  To me hardware is just lego that I know how
to plug together.

I have re-built the SLUG server (the one I take to the DBF Worthing)
in a new case - a 1U rack-mount case.  This has the advantage that
it fits behind the passenger seat (or the divers seat for that
matter) if my car.  For those of you that know my car, you know
that space is a issue with it :-).  So, from now on, I can carry
my lappie, the BCF server and a passenger!!!!

I've had to combine other servers into the one to get it to work.
The disk that I though had died didn't - there is something up
between the AMD processors I was using and ATA disks that I don't
understand, but that is for another time.

My problem is power.  The system is a combined MythTV box, Debian
mirror + demo GUI.  It is therefore loaded with disks, four of them!
Giving around 400GBytes of storage.

  Disk			  Size		Rated
  Seagate ST340810A	  40GBytes	+5V, +12V
  Seagate ST380021A	  80GBytes	+5V 0.85A, +12V 0.75A
  Samsung SP1604N	  160GBytes	+5V 0.6A,  +12V 0.5A
  Hitachi HDS725512VLAT80 123GBytes	+5V 0.5A,  +12V 0.7A

The motherboard is a VIA EPIA MII-10000 (1GHz) and it also has a
Hauppauge PVR-350 PCI card.  The second PCI slot available is free.
I can't find a power rating for the motherboard - sorry.

The PSU is rated:
	MAX OUTPUT POWER: 180W (+3.3V & +5V=61W,
                               (+3.3V & +5V & +12V = 160W Max)
	DC OUTPUT: +3.3V 16.8A (Org), +5V 12A(Red)
                   +12V  10A(Yel) +5Vsb 2A(Pur) -12V 2A(Blue)

The problem is that the PSU only has three disk power connectors
and I need four. So...

  1). Will the PSU support all four drivers?

  2). If 1) is yes, then can I cut off one of the floppy connectors
      and replace it with a standard disk connector.  Space inside
      is an issue, we're talking shoehorn fitting here, so I would
      rather not use a splitter if I can get away with it.

  3). I also need to make a custom (for length) motherboard power
      extension cable.  The one that came with the case isn't long
      enough.  Is there any length limit for the cable from the PSU
      to the motherboard.

Ta for your help