[Sussex] Rename a list of files

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Wed May 11 11:12:50 UTC 2005

"Angelo Servini" <Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk> writes:

> Hi

Afternoon...

> I have a problem, I would like to write a bash script or enter a
> command to rename a list of files numerically.

It's certainly dooable - Bash would be a little on the painful side -
but Perl, Python or Ruby could do this reasonably trivially.

I use writable dired mode in Emacs to do this kind of stuff.  I'm
pretty sure "gee vimto" or whatever it is the other school of thought is
calling a "visual editor" these days can do something similar if you
know the right mystic incantations :-)

The question is what kind of help do you want?

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org