[Sussex] Rename a list of files

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Wed May 11 12:46:48 UTC 2005

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your reply.

I suppose Id better define the problem properly.  I am a bit of a Photo buff and use a Digital Camera to capture images.  As you know, once a list of images has been captured, it is usual to rip out the duff images (or images you simply do not want).  This leaves a list with missing numbers.

I also want to merge lists from two separate smartmedia cards, where the images always start with the same numbers.  These I would like to be merged into one list in one subdirectory, the first lot from img0001.jpg to img000n.jpg and the second lot starting at img000n+1.jpg, where n is the number of images in the first lot.

Most of the time, Im not really interested in naming each particular image, just that their in one particular folder named after the date-venue where the photo's were captured.  So the solution might actually be:

1.  Specify a mask to name the files.  Ie. img####.jpg  where #### represents the number to replace with a sequential integer.

2.  Specify a list of subdirectories containing images.

3.  Specify a target directory to contain the merged list of images.

I can then burn that to a CD.

What do you think?  What Im looking for are maybe examples, or even as you said, "what application / development solution do I use?"

BTW also thanks to akaDruid for your input.

Ta all

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged.  Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. If you received this message in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and delete all copies
from your system.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. This e-mail message has been swept by Activis e:)scan for the presence of detectable computer viruses, but we cannot guarantee that it is virus-free and you should scan this email for viruses prior to opening or saving any attachments.

Please note that communications sent by or to any person through our computer systems may be viewed by other members of the Hogg Robinson group.

Claybrook Computing Limited (Registered in England and Wales No 1287205) is a subsidiary of Claybrook Computing (Holdings) Limited

A Hogg Robinson company.