[Sussex] Strange grub behaviour

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun May 15 07:31:03 UTC 2005

I seem to have some curious things going on with my grub install.

I can't fathom whether it's a grub issue, or possibly a gentoo thing,
but suspect grub.

If I boot the system, I get a black screen. It doesnt' seem to matter
whether I'm passing the kernel instruction (I think that's what it's
doing) with splash=silent or verbose. It comes up the same black screen.

Now, also, I have 2 entries for different kernel versions, though the
second one is for a kernel upgrade that "doesn't want to play.

The grub.conf, looks like this:

    quote:

    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0) /grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r8
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
    ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev vga=0x317 splash=silent
    initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r8

    title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r3
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
    ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev vga=0x317 splash=silent
    initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r3

It could easily be something to do with the splash image, though I'm not
sure about that, because it's in the /boot/grub directory but can't work
out what I'd open it with, too see if it looks OK.

If from the black screen, I hit the down arrow, and then enter, it will
boot the 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 kernel version, but I get a very quick, but
corrupted boot list, before it goes into the boot sequence OK and boots
fine.

If I just hit return, as if to boot into the 2.6.11-gentoo-r8 kernel, I
get an almost unreadable screen, though I've managed to decypher that it
says I've done some sort of incorrect video/screen selection, and offers
the list or scan of possible video modes.

If I then select, say 3, it will then change and start to boot, but only
until it gives me the error of /dev/hda3 not being a valid root block
device.

So does anyone know what else I'd need to look into/check please ??

regards

John D.