[Sussex] Patent bites patenter.

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu May 19 12:28:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 16:46 +0100, Angelo Servini wrote:
> Ho ho ho ho ha haaa ha haaa!  Oh me painful sides!
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/18/microsoft_court_excel/
>
> I fell off me seat --- I did!  Serves them b*** well right.

True enough, but who here actually believes that the end result will be
detrimental to MS? Either the power of their legal team will string
things out so far that the other side runs out of financing, their legal
team will run rings around what the other side can do (I may be being
unfair here in assuming that the extra money buys better, or possibly
less ethical, legal representation*), or they settle out of court for a
sum that is good for the other side, but a mere drop in the ocean for
MS. In whichever outcome it will merely be yet another example of big
business being able to do whatever they want against the little guy - be
that small business or customer.

* I may be overly cynical here, but I tend to see the legal system
(well, primarily the US legal system) as a means of using the law to win
your case - as opposed to using the law to define what is right.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/