[Sussex] Recent Click online comments

nik nik at reducedhackers.com
Sun May 22 07:27:35 UTC 2005

If you get a chance to watch this weeks Click online then please take a
moment to write to the producers. Ive been watching click online and I
have noticed that in many respects their "informative" show is quite
biased towards percieved popularism in operating systems. Recently they
previewed MS and Apples announcements of their 64bit oss' with MS
showing off transparent windows etc etc etc. So microsoft so
uninnovative. Anyway heres my recent posting to click online ...

--- extract of click online email ---
Whilst your getting innudated with many many emails saying "linux for
the desktop is simply not there" I offer you this thought:

Try the following ,over the telephone, as a technical support excerise.
Between an end user and a support technician trained in their operating
system.

1. Change the resolution of the Desktop from 640x480 to   800x600

2. Enable a wireless network card to connect to a base station whose
SSID is hidden and is using 128bit wep.

3. Connect to the internet via a Network card via a router.

4. Find a file recently edited on the computer.

Your Target Operating systems are Windows XP Home, Knoppix 3.8 and Tiger.

In the last 15 years that I have provided technical support, the Windows
environment has retarded the ability of the technical support assistant,
where command line and text files never did. Since most end users  do
not find the above tasks "easy" in any operating system id suggest no
desktop system is actually there.

Ive been watching click online for a while now and I would have to say
that you seem quite reticent , or unaware, to look at the unix/linux
world when talking and comparing technology releases and history.

The Sussex Linux user group has for several months now,  attended the
Worthing British Computer Fair.  Where it sells the Knoppix distribution
on CD, to many visitors.   On average we sell 15 cds in a day and find
after a few months visitors are returning to enquire how to install the
distribution on their PCs. Id invite a researcher from Click online to
attend for the day and see what the public ( and hobbyists ) think about it.

--

Nicholas Butler