[Sussex] CUPS stopped Network Printing!

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Sun May 22 21:53:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 18:42 +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a really strange error.
>
> My network was working fine until friday, then suddenly (without
> altering any configs!) printing stopped working useing cups.
>
> I can print test pages from both the server and the client using the
> cups web interface and the printer shows up fine as a shared printer,
> however when I try and print from anything else, it just doesn't work.
>
> Has anyone else had a problem like this before?

I had this problem immediately after migrating a RAID mirror install
from a pair of SCSI disks (one failed) to a pair of IDE disks (a fun
piece of work in itself!). The end cause was permissions on the /tmp
directory that I had forgotten to set post migration - basically the web
interface worked because it was accessing as root (lazy of me, but there
you go!).

I don't know whether this is likely in your case, but I thought it was
worth mentioning in case there was a similar type of problem.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/