[Sussex] RDP on linux?

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue May 24 15:22:16 UTC 2005

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some of you know, I'm trainig as a MCSA to get back into the industry.

Ugh... you could always get a proper qualification:
http://www.europe.redhat.com/training/ :)

G'luck anyway!

> Is there any way of accessing my linux box from the lab I'm learning in?

Most probably :)

> I can't install any software on these computers, so I'm hoping there's a way of
> installing software on my linux box that will let me access it via windows.
> (Yes, I know there's telnet, but I'm really not happy to send my passwords over
> that)

Java VNC client? Java SSH? Err... depends what the lab setup is like
really, if it's firewalled it proves a little more problematic...

> Is there a version of RDP that I can use the client's here in the lab to access?
> if not, how about a cgi/php script that I can put on a server and access via
> Internet Explorer?

I don't believe that anyone's implemented an open-source RDP server,
unfortunatly. Does the windows telnet client do krb-telnet? That's
encrypted, and uses Kerberos too, which is nice.. The other option is,
as you say, a PHP script on your machine - shouldn't be too hard to setup.

Can't you just download and run putty.exe and delete it when you're done?

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169