[Sussex] Nokia

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed May 25 20:35:24 UTC 2005

Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:

>So Nokia love Linux today..
>
>First they announce an new Linux based multimedia device:
>
>http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,74866,00.html
>
>... then they announce a Linux development kit for it...
>
>and then...  .. they give the Linux kernel team permission to use their
>patents:
>
>http://press.nokia.com/PR/200505/995845_5.html

Well, I might be no expert, but the press release looks like better news
than the device, though thats not to say that the "machine" doesn't look
good,
 but even a "rank amateur" like me can spot a few holes.

The first two being, that they are expanding it with RS-MMC cards. Why?
MMC are dearer and not as reliable as SD cards, plus, wheres the ogg
support for the sound file formats?

Or maybe they're looking to update/upgrade after they've reclaimed some
of the development costs??? (or am I just being too cynical/critical??)

As for the press, not so much "love" linux, but offering to have it's
babies ????

I suppose the only real question, is that will any European countries be
amongst the "certain" countries flagged for the 3rd Q of 05, or will it
just be another rare item in this little corner of the planet, like so
many of the other linux based phones, smartphones, pdas' etc etc ???

regards

John D.