[Sussex] Quark Xpress and version control

G.J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Tue Nov 1 16:03:53 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> writes:

> Hi folks
>
> Anyone heard of any version control systems that are compatible with
> Quark Xpress documents.  I have a small team of designers who use Quark
> on OSX and I'd like to be able to implement a version control system for
> them to avoid some annoying data losses and version confusion.  Ideally
> I'd like to stick them on my linux SVN (Webdav) development server but I
> don't know whether that's going to work or not...
>
> Anyone heard of anything that I could investigate?

Well.. IIRC, Quark files are nasty binaries.  Subversion will work,
but you'll get a huge repository and fewer benefits than you would
with plain text files.  This is gone to be true across the board - if
you can't diff or patch the file then you're basically talking about
straight versioning.

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7776 195 211
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.