[Sussex] Quark Xpress and version control

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Nov 2 19:55:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:02:32 +0000
gteale at cmedresearch.com (G.J. Teale) wrote:
> > development server but I don't know whether that's going to work or
> > not...
> >
> > Anyone heard of anything that I could investigate?
>
> Well.. IIRC, Quark files are nasty binaries.  Subversion will work,
> but you'll get a huge repository and fewer benefits than you would
> with plain text files.  This is gone to be true across the board - if
> you can't diff or patch the file then you're basically talking about
> straight versioning.

Will the repository grow huge even with an FSFS backend?  I presume it
will.

I have my doubts about this anyway - the quark files we're talking
about are on average 100MB in size with LOTS of linked images, etc.
Knowing quark's fussiness, I think I'll stick with a straight file
share and firm up the server usage rules a bit.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

--
Ronan