[Sussex] Another job

G.J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Wed Nov 16 16:18:51 UTC 2005

Thomas Adam <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:50:39PM +0000, G.J. Teale wrote:
> > As that spec implies the successful candidate will spend their
> > days working in pairs on code relating to a suite of applications
>
> Interesting.  This suggests some form of Extreme Programming.  Is that
> how things are run there?  I'm very much interested in the applications
> of such concepts, since I only ever touch on them from an academic point
> of view.

We do something very like XP, and we use that name on occasion as an
easy way of describing it.  We don't do everything exactly as XP books
prescribe, instead we have a process that has evolved as a result of
us trying out ideas and seeing what works.  I believe the idea that a
rigid process defined in a book could fit the myriad of forces in work
in an real work place is a little naive.

For the record, the ideas that we take from XP are:

  * Pair programming
  * Test first development
  * Stories
  * On sight customers
  * Iterations
  * Continuous re-factoring
  * User acceptance testing

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7776 195 211
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.