[Sussex] Running command on computer boot

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:07:02 UTC 2005

On 21/11/05, John Thompson <jdthompson at themutual.net> wrote:
> I have discovered that if I run the command (in superuser mode):
>
> ntpdate time.nist.gov
>
> - the clock gets correctly set.

ntpdate is I believe a bit broken. You might want to switch to the
"ntp-simple" package instead. You may also want to use a uk based
server to get your time from.

I am guessing you're in the uk, and as such you might want to sync
with uk.pool.ntp.org.

> Is there any way that I can set things up so that this command
> automatically runs when the computer boots? Even before the user logs
> in? Without having to issue the superuser password?

You could (by placing something in /etc/init.d and /etc/rcN.d) or you
could schedule a cron job to do it for you regularly. Or as I say
install the ntp-simple package which is altogether better.

Cheers,
Al.