[Sussex] Microsoft opens file formats

Frances Fleming fay at uthink.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 20:55:46 UTC 2005

On Tue Nov 22 13:00:27 GMT 2005, Dave Chapman wrote:
> Just followed this link from www.theregister.com
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/nov05/11-21Ecma.mspx
>
> And I can't help but think theres a deliberate attempt to confuse people with
> "Office Open XML Document Formats"
>
> It is far to easy to read it as
> "Open Office XML Document Formats"

I am also a Register reader.

I am also very fond of the OpenDocument format, representing _true_ openness and
developed and _agreed upon_ by a _consortium_ of top notch companies ... of which
Microsoft was pretending to be a member. We don't need a second format.

The two topmost letters on the link below express good sense ... this view must
become widespread if true open standards are to prevail against MS' multibillion
dollar PR machine:

http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/22/letters_2211/