[Sussex] Gnupg and it's use

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Nov 23 21:36:05 UTC 2005

Hi Al

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:22:45PM +0000, Al Girling wrote:
> I've started to use Gnupg lately, seems like a popular thing among
> GNU/Linux types.

I agree, I use it all the time, and I know others that do too.

>                   I can't help but notice that hardly anyone on this
> list signs their mail.

I've noticed that too.

>                         Is this a mailing list etiquette thing or
> something else?

As the list admin I can say with absolute authority (unless Geoff and
Garth both gang up on me) that it is not against an netiquette on the
list.

>                  I know that people who use Outlook Express will get
> annoyed if they receive signed mail as for them they get a blank mail
> with two attachments, one of which is the message, which they then have
> to open in Notepad.  I can see this as being a barrier to potential new
> users and that you may discourage the use of gpg as a result.

While this may be a problem for people who use broken MTAs (and
I respect their right to do so) it should not be a problem for the
rest of us.  GnuPG has been integrated with one of M$'s MTAs so
it really isn't a barrier for them too.

> Am I close, or is that you simply just don't use gpg?

Personally I think most people are just lazy.

> Yours, hoping to learn and trying not foul up!

Aren't we all trying to do that.  Some days I even manage it, but
only on the days I don't get out of bed.  :-)

> --
> GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE

There is no point in putting your GnuPG ID in your signature.  If
you want to put something put the fingerprint in, but personally
I don't think that is worth doing either.  Just sign everything
that leaves!

I see that you're name is not do to come to the Moot tomorrow, so
we can't do a key signing there.  Where abouts are you?  If your
close maybe we could go out for a drink and exchange keys some
time.